Call Today (301) 816-3232

Will My Insurance Cover A Root Canal?

Will My Insurance Cover A Root Canal?

A root canal is a common procedure for a cracked tooth because of genetics or injury. The treatment involves the removal of infected pulp, cleaning the tooth, and filling and sealing the cavity.

The average cost of a root canal ranges between $600 to $1500.

A common question our experts get is, “will my insurance cover the cost of a root canal?”

Here’s what you need to know.

Will Dental Insurance Cover My Root Canal Procedure?

The coverage of a root canal depends on your insurance plan. However, most dental insurance plans cover 50% to 80% of the cost.

Here are a few things to look for in your insurance policy:

Coverage Terms

Certain insurance policies only include cleanings and preventive appointments and not root canals. So, it’s essential to read the coverage terms of the insurance policy or contact your dentist’s office to know more.


Many policies need you to meet a deductible for the insurance plan to cover the cost. For instance, if the deductible is $1000 and your bill for a root canal is $1000, the insurance won’t cover the cost.

The plan will cover additional procedures after the deductible is met.


In this case, an insurance company covers a portion of the expense. For example, it might pay 80%, and you’ll need to pay the rest 20%.

Waiting Period

It’s common to have a waiting period for expensive procedures such as root canals. In most cases, you must wait for at least 12 months before the insurance can cover the expense.


It refers to the maximum amount an insurance plan will cover in a year.

Ready to Get Started?

If you need more information on root canal and insurance coverage, turn to our experienced Rockville dentist and the team at Rochelle E. Hackley DDS Dental Spa today.

We are passionate about helping our patients achieve and maintain a healthy, happy smile.

Did you like this? Share it!

0 comments on “Will My Insurance Cover A Root Canal?

Comments are closed.