Wisdom tooth extraction in Rockville is a common dental procedure aimed at removing the third set of molars located at the back of the mouth. These molars, also known as wisdom teeth, typically emerge in late adolescence or early adulthood. While some individuals may experience no issues with their wisdom teeth, many face complications due to the limited space in the jaw, leading to problems such as impaction, crowding, and misalignment. As a result, wisdom teeth extraction becomes necessary to prevent potential oral health complications and alleviate discomfort.
Why Do You Need Wisdom Tooth Extraction?
You may need to have a wisdom tooth extraction procedure if:
- Have one or more impacted wisdom teeth. (“Impacted” means partially or fully trapped in your gums or jawbone.)
- Have wisdom teeth that grew crooked or sideways.
- Develop pain near the back of your mouth.
- Trap food and debris around your wisdom teeth.
- Develop gum disease, particularly around your molars.
- Have tooth decay (cavities) in a partially erupted wisdom tooth.
- Develop a cyst (fluid-filled sac) around one or more wisdom teeth.
- Have damage to nearby teeth or surrounding bone.
Most of the time, dentists will recommend wisdom teeth extraction as a preventative procedure, even if you don’t have any symptoms. This can help alleviate the risks of future problems, including tooth decay or infection.
What Happens During Wisdom Tooth Extraction?
During a wisdom tooth extraction, the dentist or oral surgeon will carefully remove one or more of the third molars from the patient’s mouth. The procedure typically involves the following steps:
- Anesthesia. Before starting the extraction, the patient will be administered anesthesia to ensure they do not feel any pain during the procedure. The type of anesthesia used can vary, ranging from local anesthesia to numb only the extraction site, to general anesthesia so that the patient will be unconscious during the procedure.
- Incision and Access. If the wisdom tooth has fully erupted and is visible in the mouth, the dentist may proceed with a simple extraction. They will use dental instruments to loosen the tooth from its socket and then carefully lift it out.
- Impacted Wisdom Teeth. In cases where the wisdom tooth has not fully emerged or is growing at an angle, a more complex surgical extraction may be necessary. The dentist will create an incision in the gum tissue to access the impacted tooth and may need to remove a small portion of the bone that covers the tooth.
- Tooth Removal. Using specialized dental instruments, the dentist will remove the wisdom tooth from its socket. In some cases, the tooth may need to be sectioned into smaller pieces for easier removal.
- Cleaning and Stitches. After the tooth is removed, the extraction site will be cleaned to remove any debris or remaining tooth fragments. If an incision was made, the dentist may place dissolvable stitches to help the gum tissue heal properly.
- Gauze Placement. Gauze pads will be placed over the extraction site to control bleeding and promote blood clot formation, which is crucial for proper healing.
The entire procedure lasts about an hour depending on how complex the procedure is.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction in Rockville Maryland
Dental, Spa, and Cosmetic Surgery has a compassionate and knowledgeable team dedicated to providing the best dental care for you. If you are in need of wisdom tooth extraction, contact us today to schedule your consultation!
Oral surgery is something that a lot of people tend to dread or put off. However, technology has paved a path to make even oral surgery stress-free and comfortable. The benefits of oral surgery in Rockville can include both aesthetic and health benefits. Understanding the benefits of oral surgery can help negate the negative feelings.
What is Oral Surgery?
There are different types of oral surgery procedures, all done to improve overall dental and oral wellness. Oral surgery is any kind of surgical procedure that is done on the gums, teeth, jaw, and lips. Some of the most common oral surgeries include:
- Tooth extraction
- Jaw surgery
- Dental bone grafting
- Gum bone grafting
- Obstructive sleep apnea treatment
- Cleft palate and lip repair
Reasons for getting oral surgery may include:
- Repair of severe tooth decay and root canal
- Reconstructive surgery
- Sleep apnea treatment
- Treatment for TMJ disorder
- Wisdom tooth removal
- Impacted canines
- Tooth replacement with dental implants
Best Oral Surgery in Rockville Maryland
When you look in the mirror or take photos, you deserve to have a smile you can feel proud of. Dr. Hackley and our knowledgeable and compassionate staff are dedicated to helping you create a smile you love. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!
Does your child have a fear of the dentist? Or do you avoid the dentist’s office like the plague? If so, sedation dentistry Rockville, Maryland might be the perfect solution. ease some of your anxiety. Used for everything from invasive procedures to routine cleanings, sedation dentistry is a great way to ease dental anxiety. Keep ready to learn whether it’s right for you.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
As the name suggests, sedation dentistry uses medication to relax dental patients during their procedures. When it comes to dentistry, there are four levels of sedation that are used:
- Minimal sedation. The patient is awake, yet relaxed.
- Moderate sedation. The patient might slur their words, and they probably won’t remember much about the procedure.
- Deep sedation. The patient is on the edge of consciousness, but they can be woken up if needed.
- General anesthesia. The patient is completely unconscious.
Types of Sedation Used in Dentistry
Interested in getting sedation dentistry Rockville, Maryland? Your practitioner will likely use one of the following:
- Inhaled minimal sedation. Essentially, this requires inhaling a combination of nitrous oxide (aka “laughing gas”) and oxygen.
- Oral sedation. Depending on the dosage, this kind of sedation ranges from minimal to moderate. Most patients are given a pill called Halcion (which belongs to the same family as Valium), which is one of the most common forms of sedation dentistry.
- IV moderate sedation. The patient receives the sedative drug through a vein.
- Deep sedation/general anesthesia. Just like in surgical offices, general anesthesia administers medications that make the patient almost or totally unconscious.
Best Sedation Dentistry Rockville, Maryland
To summarize, sedation dentistry is ideal for patients who fear the dentist. Additionally, it’s great for people who have low pain thresholds, sensitive teeth, bad gag reflexes, or are unable to sit still for long periods of time.
If you’re looking for the best sedation dentistry in Rockville, Maryland, you’ve found it at Hackley DDS. Schedule a consult today.
Are you searching for a top Rockville dental center? Here at Hackley DDS and Dental Spa, we have the experience and knowledge to treat a wide range of dental issues, including smile makeovers. Here’s what you need to consider when choosing a top Rockville Dental Center.
What is a Rockville Dental Center?
A Rockville Dental Center is a place where a dentist performs oral health treatments, dental procedures, and more. They typically provide basic dental services like cleanings, checkups, fillings, and root canals. However, they may also provide additionally services like cosmetic treatments and emergency after-hours care.
Choosing a Dental Center in Rockville
Whether you are looking for a new dentist for routine cleanings and checkups or interested in more advanced treatments like smile makeovers or dental implants, its important to choose the right dental center for you. Here are some things to consider.
Back to Basics
Regular visits are a key component of oral health. So, it’s important to choose a dentist that fits with your schedule and location. Consider the following.
- Is the office easy to get to from your job or home?
- Are the office hours convenient?
- Does the dentist accept your insurance?
- Is the dentist a member of the ADA?
Schedule a consultation with the dentist before making your first appointment. We recommend making a list of questions to bring to your appointment. This is a good time to access the dentist’s communication and decide if you are comfortable. A few questions you may want to ask include:
- Is the office staff familiar with your insurance plan?
- Does the office offer financial options for treatment costs?
- Will the dentist explain ways to help prevent dental health problems or provided health instructions?
- How does the dentist handle emergencies after hours?
Here are Hackley DDS and Dental Spa, we offer a wide variety of dental services as well as cosmetic procedures. Some of these include:
We also offer many cosmetic procedures such as Botox, dermal fillers, body contouring, skin tightening, skin rejuvenation and much more in our spa.
Top Rockville Dental Center
We take oral health seriously. We aim to provide exceptional care to our patients using the latest technology and training, while enhancing your natural beauty. Contact Hackley DDS and Dental Spa and Dental Spa today to schedule an appointment.
Wisdom teeth are the last to erupt when the rest of your teeth have settled. If wisdom teeth are comfortably aligned, and the surrounding gums are healthy, they don’t need to be removed.
Wisdom teeth extraction is a common procedure that many adults have to undergo.
Your wisdom teeth coming in can be exciting, but it can also be a bit nerve-wracking since wisdom teeth often need to be extracted.
Wisdom teeth typically emerge in your late teens or early 20s. In some cases, you may not need your wisdom teeth removed.