The Ultimate Guide to Sedation Dentistry Rockville
Does your child have a fear of the dentist? Or do you avoid the dentist’s office like the plague? If so, sedation dentistry Rockville, Maryland might be the perfect solution. ease some of your anxiety. Used for everything from invasive procedures to routine cleanings, sedation dentistry is a great way to ease dental anxiety. Keep ready to learn whether it’s right for you.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
As the name suggests, sedation dentistry uses medication to relax dental patients during their procedures. When it comes to dentistry, there are four levels of sedation that are used:
- Minimal sedation. The patient is awake, yet relaxed.
- Moderate sedation. The patient might slur their words, and they probably won’t remember much about the procedure.
- Deep sedation. The patient is on the edge of consciousness, but they can be woken up if needed.
- General anesthesia. The patient is completely unconscious.
Types of Sedation Used in Dentistry
Interested in getting sedation dentistry Rockville, Maryland? Your practitioner will likely use one of the following:
- Inhaled minimal sedation. Essentially, this requires inhaling a combination of nitrous oxide (aka “laughing gas”) and oxygen.
- Oral sedation. Depending on the dosage, this kind of sedation ranges from minimal to moderate. Most patients are given a pill called Halcion (which belongs to the same family as Valium), which is one of the most common forms of sedation dentistry.
- IV moderate sedation. The patient receives the sedative drug through a vein.
- Deep sedation/general anesthesia. Just like in surgical offices, general anesthesia administers medications that make the patient almost or totally unconscious.
Best Sedation Dentistry Rockville, Maryland
To summarize, sedation dentistry is ideal for patients who fear the dentist. Additionally, it’s great for people who have low pain thresholds, sensitive teeth, bad gag reflexes, or are unable to sit still for long periods of time.
If you’re looking for the best sedation dentistry in Rockville, Maryland, you’ve found it at Hackley DDS. Schedule a consult today.