Many patients consider dentures to be an old fashioned approach for tooth loss.
However, you may be surprised to learn that dentures have adapted to modern dentistry in order to provide a natural looking solution for missing teeth.
What are Dentures?
Dentures are a removable set of teeth that are tailored to fit your mouth comfortably and to mimic the appearance of natural teeth.
There are two options when it comes to these removable teeth that are available to you.
Your dentist will be able to best decide if full, or partial options will work best for your needs.
Full dentures are placed over your gums in order to seamlessly fit against the contours of your mouth for a natural looking set of complete teeth.
Partial dentures lay on a metal frame and attach to your natural teeth in order to fill in areas where teeth are missing.
How to Care for Your Removable Teeth
Your dentures will need to be closely monitored by your dentist each year in order to address any wear and tear that naturally occurs through chewing, grinding, and daily wear and tear.
There are certain things you can do to prolong the life of your dentures, including the following:
- They are delicate, when handling them always be sure to do so over water or a soft towel.
- Keep them moist by storing them in a specialized solution or water.
- Do not store them in hot water.
- Brush them every day.
- Talk to your dentist about investing in an ultrasonic cleaner for additional cleaning.
- Always brush your tongue, palate, and gums before inserting them each day.
- Contact you doctor at first sign of loosening, chips or cracks.
- Never attempt to adjust them on your own, always call your dentist.
Schedule an Appointment With the Best Dentist in Rockville
If you would like to schedule a consultation at Hackley DDS for any of the dental services we offer in Rockville, MD, contact our office today.